The Virtual Private Network (VPN) client software is required for access to Carleton University resources that are restricted to on-campus use. It provides a secure encrypted channel from your home to the campus and allows access to many campus resources.
Step 1: Downloading and InstallingFor Windows users please ensure that the computer you are using to connect to the Carleton University VPN Network meets the minimum system requirements.
- Download the VPN client software for Windows (Note: VPN now available in 64bit for MS Windows 7 &MS Vista)
- Instructions to install the VPN client software for Windows
- Start the VPN client software.
- Start -> Programs -> Cisco Systems VPN Client -> VPN Client
Mapping your Network Drives through VPN
Once you have established a VPN connection, you can map your network drives.
- Windows Users: Instructions for mapping Network Drives
- STAFF: Mac Users: Instructions for mapping Network Drives
- STUDENT: Mac Users: Instructions for mapping Network Drives
- iPad: Instructions for mapping Network Drives (requires purchasing FileBrowser app)
Closing your connection…
Once you have established a VPN connection, all of your network traffic will be routed through Carleton University. Once you have finished accessing Carleton resources, it is recommended that you disconnect the VPN client session. (Windows users right-click on the gold padlock icon in the system task tray at the bottom right of your screen and select ‘disconnect’.)
The VPN connection has a one hour idle timeout and a six hour maximum connect time limit. However, you may immediately reconnect if you are disconnected.Back to Top